Pages

Sunday 7 July 2013

Pink is about empowerment!

My work often revolves around bright colours, and especially pink. A few years ago I was in search of a pink shape that was intense and sweet, obnoxious and girly, and a bit disgusting.

Since then, and perhaps because of the previous series of pink work, my relationship with pink has changed. It is now a more loving and a less ambivalent relationship. Pink makes me happy. Pink never judges me, but accepts me for me. Pink is playful and uninhibited. She is not afraid of what others might think of her. She is courageous. She has many beautiful qualities that I can learn from. And I think this is one of the reasons why so many girls like pink. Pink creates a room in which girls are allowed to be expressive and in their power.

It makes me sad when I hear pink being referred to as juvenile and naïve. I do not believe "the pink phase" is something we need to grow out of. And it makes me sad when I hear it being referred to as shallow and stupid, when I think pink should inspire love and respect.

What is so threatening about the colour pink?

No comments:

Post a Comment